I send invites to prospects on LinkedIn to connect. Most of the time, I write a note. But I never try to sell. Do you know how will it be at the receiving end?
- Let’s say I received an invite from a person I don’t know. Just because I don’t know him/her, it doesn’t mean I won’t accept the invite.
- I do business with complete strangers but I make them my friends first.
- Whether I buy product/service or sell product/service, I need to build rapport first.
- I need to trust or become trustworthy as the case maybe.
- If you are not interested in investing your time and effort in building up this relationship, this will get nowhere.
- Do not forget to personalize the invite. Address the person by name. Understand what they are doing and talk about it. If they were in news recently, connect with it.
- GOLDEN RULE: Never sell anything without building rapport & trust or without getting to know the person offline.
Take a look at one of the invites I received recently. It teaches you what you shouldn’t do.
#b2b #b2c #sales #marketing #prospecting