It is not about you anymore. It is about them. The dialogue starts with them, their needs or problems, their Industry, the challenges in their industry, their competition, their achievements, awards, recognition, their goals etc. How you align with your prospects during their buying journey and how enjoyable you make it for them will determine your success. You exist for your customers and because of your customers.
Sales is getting complicated. Companies now have multi channel to sell their products or services. To name a few, you have field sales, inside sales, customer service, loyalty programs, corporate website, partners, resellers, social media channels etc. It is essential to speak with one voice and ensure that the prospect gets the same look and feel [in other words, same experience] whichever channel he chooses to get in touch with your company.
Listen to your prospects. When they talk they are giving you information about their thought process, their values, their expectations, their style of working, their experience, expertise, their problem statements, their idea of a solution etc. Unless, you are attentive and keenly listening to your prospects, you will miss many of these things. And you may miss the information on how he expects you to sell.
When you listen, you listen and pay attention and not just pause and wait for an opportunity to make a pitch.
Why should you listen ?
- That is the only way to start aligning with your prospect, if you want the deal, that is
- To understand their needs or problems
- To get to know their expectations
- To understand their buying decision process
- To find out the stage the prospect is in, in their buying decision process
- To understand what is the perception he holds on your company or products or services
- To get to know their perspectives
- To know their priorities and urgency
Instead of asking yourself – Why should this person buy this? Why should they buy from me? Why should they buy at a particular time? etc – ask yourself the following questions, if you are aligned with the prospect :
- Why this company / organization exists ? How is their current problem statement / need aligned to their “why” ? Simon Sinek in his book “Start with Why” says “It doesn’t matter what you do, it matters Why you do it.” If you take a re-look at the problem statement with this understanding, a new perspective may emerge out of it. You will then buy the idea of your prospect. Now you will start thinking like your prospect. Perfect alignment. Great start.
- How can I add value or help them so that I can join them in solving the problem together ? How can I make the prospect “want” to take me into confidence and consider me their trusted consultant ?
- How urgent is it for your prospect to get the problem solved to continue to inspire their customers and add value to them ?
Your prospects are looking for your help in the following :
- How to do things in a much more easier, simpler way and save time and money
- How to get more business with less and less effort and also spending lesser and lesser
- How to get more done with less
- How to make it easy for your prospects to buy, implement and use your products or services
What is value? It is an individual perception and it denotes the greater importance or worthiness that something deserves.
- Show them increase in efficiency in shorter time frames
- Provide something that helps them do things in a more powerful manner
- Give them that which no one else is offering for the same cost or for a little more
- Provide them tools that will help them become a leader in their industry