Businesses of all sizes have competition. The sales people have to face stiff competition day in and day out. They have to counter the competition to win deals and acquire clients. What are the various things that a Sales person can do or should do during the Sales Process to differentiate themselves from the competition ? How can the sales people stand out from their competition and win deals ?
- Provide Value to your prospects.
- Don’t sell on Price.
- Build good rapport with your prospects. Develop friendship with them. They are not machines to print your purchase orders.
- Understand your prospects.
- Don’t take advantage in any situation.
- Understand their pain points.
- Look at their situation from their perspective.
- Think that there exists a solution for their problems and then go find it.
- If you can help them resolve their problems, deal is yours.
- Carry yourself well through out the sales process.
- Be Professional.
- Small things matter a lot. So pay attention to small things.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Be a team player.
- Be interesting.
- Sound positive always.
- Have a grasp of current affairs.
- Be an expert and a thought leader in your Industry.
- Get your prospects to get connected with you, your products and your services.
- Be Passionate about Sales.
If you think you can, you will. Leaving you with a Poem by Walter D. Wintle.
Poem “The Man Who Thinks He Can”
by Walter D. Wintle
If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don’t.
If you’d like to win, but think you can’t
It’s almost a cinch you won’t.
If you think you’ll lose, you’ve lost,
For out in the world we find
Success being with a fellow’s will;
It’s all in the state of mind.
If you think you’re outclassed, you are:
You’ve got to think high to rise.
You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the one who thinks he can.
Happy Selling !!
We all want to close more sales. Right ? Let us understand what it takes to close more deals. First and foremost, I am sure you have heard this: Don’t rush the sales process. And don’t delay it as well. The right speed is what will determine the outcome. The speed that matches your prospect is the one that will help you land the deal. Customers would like to buy and don’t like to be sold.
You can close more sales, if
- You don’t rush the sales process
- You add more value during your interaction with your prospects
- You understand the prospects pain points and provide point solutions to resolve those pains
- You Align with your prospects
- You have built a good Pipeline of Opportunities
- You understand your competitors and have a strategy to counter them
- You act more like a Business Partner than like a vendor
- You are an Expert and an Authority in your domain
- You are willing to help your Prospects solve their problems
- You are putting effort in finding a solution that meets the growth demands of your prospects
- You keep up your commitments
- You can provide Customer References
- You can demonstrate your solution and prove that that is the best in the market
- You can highlight the value of your products or services
- You can offer a solution matching your prospects budgets
- You can eliminate the risks for your prospects
- You are enthusiastic, disciplined, courageous, entertaining
- You are willing to go that extra mile to match customer expectation
- You are helping your prospects save money, time and effort with your product or service
- You know how to smile from your heart and do.
Happy Selling !!
Your prospects are not in a great hurry. At least not most of them. They seem to be quite happy with the Status Quo. But don’t you know that enthusiasm is contagious. And if you pack energy and sense of urgency into your action, they are bound to match your speed and energy. So, let us understand how to achieve more in less time by developing a sense of urgency.
“You can’t move mountains by whispering at them” – Pink
- Set your sights really very high. Don’t worry about how you will achieve them.
- Break that vision into smaller achievable goals.
- Break that further into smaller activities or tasks.
- Have energy. If not, get your dumbbells and go for 3 sets of shorter reps 8 – 10 each. Or hit the floor and go for 3 sets of 5 push ups each and start pumping up iron. Get those muscles.
- Add passion and sense of urgency. Act as if you have fifteen meetings in a day. While you have to submit five proposals. And go for two negotiations. That is your normal day.
- There are three types of people in this world – one, those who take things as it comes and are happy with it; two, those who take things as it comes and are frustrated with it and then there are Sales people, the rarest of rare breed, those who make things happen. With or without the “Sales” title.
- While you have created the sense of urgency, do not over react or walk all over others or ill treat them.
- Instead treat everyone with respect, courtesy and kindness.
- Remove the obstacles. Do not spend time on investigating who had put the road blocks. Just keep moving.
- Don’t accept mediocrity in anything.
- Pack Energy and Enthusiasm into everything you do.
- Wear a smile on your face. Even while you speak on the phone. It sounds nice and the receiver on the other end knows that you are speaking with a smile on your face.
- Focus on results.
- Be disciplined.
- Have the courage to walk the untrodden path.
- Imbibe the qualities of a leader.
- Break all the rules. And Set your own rules.
- Create something every day.
- Don’t worry about the tough times. They are there to bring out the best in you.
- You were not born to be complacent and hence always be doing many activities and setting up new activities. Keep yourself busy and engaged.
Happy Selling !!
The idea is to spread the word, understand the market needs, identify the decision makers involved, get to know the competition, their pitch, what works for the competition and what doesn’t etc. Idea is definitely not to sell anything.
So, here are the steps to get you to make those first 100 sales calls without any plan whatsoever. Do not wait until you have perfected your sales strategy or understood your target segment completely. There is no time for all that. You can learn all those on the job. Hit the road and start meeting clients. Here you go.
- Get into an Action mode. Hit the gym if you want some energy or keep two dumbbells handy at your work place and play rock on your headphone and see the magic unfold.
- Keep the script ready – at a bare minimum it should have the details on – who you are, where you are from, what is it that you want to do for them [target segment] and why – let this not be a pitch but a generalized statement. For ex, say, “we are passionate about offering solutions to the travel industry segment and we understand the issues that the travel industry faces”. If the customer asks, then and only then explain the issues and your solutions.
- Identify the target customer segment that you want to focus.
- Login to your CRM and quickly search for the target segment – from your Leads, Accounts and Contacts.
- Check if there is a Trade Association for that target segment. If yes, is there a members database available for free or for a fee. Get that list.
- Use LinkedIn, start searching for the target segment from your first level contacts, to start with.
- Identify the people you want to meet – from Finance function or Marketing function and VP level or above or below.
- Export that list from LinkedIn and merge it with the list from the Trade Association list. Keep the source of leads column and import it into your CRM.
- Query your CRM on the Target Segment and create a filtered list [with Title/Designation, City etc].
- Create a Task “Call” or “Meet” with a short description and add the Script and do a mass update to this selected list.
- Hit the Visual Task Board and you will see all these items lined up in Stage 1.
- Start calling or meeting.
That’s it. You are off to a great start. Best Wishes !!
Happy Selling !!